|Fashion & Lifestyle Published: May 17, 2010 |
Fashionware: Labyrinth Clothing of Milltown, New Jersey
Clothing line name : Labyrinth
City / State : Milltown, NJ
Established date : 2006
Website : www.labyrinth-clothing.com
Price range for clothing : $5 – $15
Where to buy your clothing : http://labyrinth.bigcartel.com
How did you come up with the name ?
– This needs a bit of background information, sorry about that; Originally Labyrinth was developed by my friend Lee and I, (however, Lee decided to leave it all up to me and Labyrinth is now run by myself). So the name Labyrinth was picked fairly simply after we sat down and pitched a list of ideas to one another and Lee came up with Labyrinth. It seemed intriguing and unique compared to the clothing company names that were out there already, so we went with it.
Description of clothing line ?
– Labyrinth serves to provide a variety of unique, creative, well-designed clothing for a great price. It is a clothing line that I believe anyone can be interested in due to the variety created in each product.
Who are your influences ?
– My influences range from artists like Robert Rauschenberg, Jackson Pollock, and Jasper Johns to Paul Rand, Saul Bass, and David Carson to more contemporary graphic designers like Shepard Fairy, Rob Dobi, Sam Kaufman, Greg Abbot, Eric Terry, and many more.
What sets your brand different from others ?
– As I stated before, Labyrinth serves to provide a variety of unique, creative, well-designed clothing for a great price. I’m not concerned with making a great deal of profit (although that would be nice). I am more concerned with people appreciating my art enough to wear it on a day-to-day basis. That is the satisfaction of it all. Most of the money I make, if not all is invested back into the company to produce more shirts for a great price. These are all shirts that I would wear and they are all designed by me, so no product of Labyrinth will look like anything else a clothing company/line creates (by hiring different popular artists), it all has the look and feel that I would like it to have and hopefully people appreciate that and enjoy it as well.
Are there any challenges you run into while running a business ?
– There definitely are. I am a college student so juggling Labyrinth as well as school as well as being a freelance graphic designer and my non-work life gets pretty tough sometimes. It makes it hard to provide weekly updates and focus on marketing when there’s a lot of stuff going on at the same time. As much as you try to prepare for things, sometimes it all comes down to a scramble and things get pushed back or don’t get as much attention as they need, but I do my best to make sure I’m proud of the products I make.
Any plans for the future with your clothing line ?
– Well, I actually am planning a small release of a few new men’s and women’s tees and some secret things too on June 30th Aside from that, I think I’ll be releasing super low run’s of new products sporadically like custom made hoodies, tees, and more. So keep checking in!
Interview by : WWS Mag Jerry Rodrigo